Women Build - 25th Anniversary
The year 2016 marked the 25th Anniversary of the first Women Build. To celebrate this milestone, Habitat Cabarrus brought women from all walks of life together - to build a new house in Cabarrus County. Our last Women Build home was completed in 2011. The response from the community from this past year was incredible!
Women Build Team Challenge
Thank you to these amazing teams and their team leaders for helping raise money and build this home!
- Built BBC Strong, Michelle Siner - $2,310
- Dewey’s Angels, Jackie Mills - $1,770
- Eat, Sleep, Burn’n Build, Leah Grasty - $1,490
- Hammertime/Hammertime II, Lisa Perry - $3,100
- Heels & Hard Hats, MaryEllen MacDonald - $800
- On the Home Front, Robin Scharding - $1,655
- Swayze’s Sweethearts, Kristel Swayze - $1,255
- The A Team, Betsy Handler - $6,300
- The Strong Women, Kimberly Strong - $2,080
- KDH Design Divas, Carrie Holdridge
We also had a great group of businesses and even non-profits help sponsor this house as well. Thank you to the following:
- The Levine Foundation
- Shoe Show, Inc.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Charlotte
- Concord Rotary Club
- Diane Honeycutt/Team Honeycutt, Allen Tate Realtors
- Cabarrus Health Alliance-Healthy Cabarrus, Lauren Thomas
- Presbyterian Women/First Presbyterian Church
- Leigh Brown & Assoc.
- Irresistible Portraits
- Ben Mynatt
What began as a single Habitat house built by an all-women crew in 1991 in Charlotte, NC has grown into an international movement responsible for more than 2,300 homes worldwide. Women Build recruits, educates and inspires women to build and advocate for decent, affordable housing in their communities.
In Cabarrus County, our Women Build goal will be to encourage women to tackle all aspects of construction to become skilled and engaged volunteers. Women Build is about including women in the construction process, not about excluding men. Once the house is complete, a local pre-qualified family will take on a 0% interest mortgage and make the house a home.